Archive for May, 2017

Got the sidecovers and chain guard back from The Vintage Vendor who did a very quick turnaround on painting them up. Thanks Brent!

I was hesitant to do any paintwork as I wanted to keep it original, but after closer inspection I’d say the tank had been painted or at least touched up so I figured I’d make it look presentable and in the end I’m glad I did.

It probably doesn’t look  it but I’ve done a lot of work to this bike over the past few weeks sorting the carbs, replacing cables, replacing the headlight shell stickers etc etc.

Still have to replace the rear master cylinder, tires chain, fork seals and more detail work. The weather is still going to be dismal for a few days so I think I’ll mosey down to the shop and put in some shop time.

BTW I did run it up and down our street just to see if it ran ok and it ran through the gears like a good ‘un.

So I will proceed….

 

Advertisements

In the midst of epic downpours we attended the open house at Vanson Leathers in Fall River MA.

It was raining hard enough that the inside of the Wall of Death was getting wet so any riding was called off.

We met Rhett Rotten who wasn’t rotten at all, a very nice guy who was letting some of the kids sit on the bikes which went over very very well.

The wall was made in 1938 in Rhode Island and the main bike he rides is a 1927 Indian. Talk about authentic!

Had a great night despite all the rain.

Thanks to Rhett, Mike, Kim and all the gang at Vanson’s

 

I’ve been beavering away on the Jubilee when I get a chance for some garage therapy, and so far so good.

Minor puttering is yielding improvements far beyond the effort involved. Some light compound is bringing the paint back to a pretty decent state and the side covers and chain guard are due to arrive next week with their new paint. I can only hope it matches acceptably as the original paint was never anything to write home about on these bikes.

All the lights are working along with the horn and the wiring itself is in pretty good nick, bar the OEM pin connectors in the headlight shell. Not sure what they were thinking but I have to believe it was a price job. Tiny little pins in a cheap plastic connector are not what you need in a motorcycle that can shake itself apart in no time flat. Not to mention the nasty front brake switch which is a thing of wonder in itself. They updated it later on to a Commando style pressure switch but this bike still has the pretty frail original.

I was thinking of swapping out the seat cover but the replacement ones don’t replicate the original colors very well so I decided to spiff up the faded red piping on my own. A red sharpie looked like a close match to the red piping color so I applied some and it looks decent. I’m sure it won’t be as durable as I would like, but I may have an alternative by then.

That’s it for now, Cheers!