Archive for November, 2014

Haven’t had much time to throw at the project but I did get the centerstand mounted, straightened out the rear wheel / hub issues so it spins nicely and hung some parts on to see what they looked like.
I have some Harley style custom master cylinders for the brake and clutch but the more I think about it, Brembo stuff will probably get the nod. I have a brake master which looks pretty good and I can use a Ducati Monster style clutch master cylinder which will match up pretty well and they seem to be pretty cheap on EBay.
I’m stillĀ  on the fence with instruments too, I do like the traditional look but electronic versions are available which might be a nice touch. The speedo gearbox and cable is always an issue on these bikes so I’d like to avoid it by using a GPS speedo if I can.


I finally decided to knock the head and cylinders off just to have a look as I’m going to paint the cases anyway.
New valves, pistons etc but it did look like the expander on the oil control rings was installed incorrectly on one cylinder so I’m glad I did it.
FYI: make sure the expander ends butt together and do not overlap, otherwise the motor will be a smoker for sure. It happens so make sure it’s right the first time.
A new set of Hastings rings will go on so at least I won’t have that issue to worry about.



Well, she’s almost a roller.

I figured I’d throw some wheels on this thing and see what bits I had forgotten. Everything seems pretty good but the rear brakes are dragging a little which means I’ll have to investigate that issue. Since it’s a custom backing plate, there may be some shimming issues but alignment and general fitment looks to be in the ballpark.

Next is the centerstand so I can roll it off the lift and get some work done on other bikes while it sits in the wings.

I guess I’m going to start using a real camera, these cell phone pics are ok but not so hot when you enlarge. Just being lazy.

For heaven’s sakeĀ  shape up lad….

20141106_182639 20141106_182652 20141106_182715 20141106_182731 20141106_182821

Between phone issues, house chores and my grand daughter’s soccer game there was some time on Saturday to toss the transmission into the Norton frame. The Isolastics went together easily for a change and the Hagon shocks held the swingarm in place to wrap it all up.

The front end looks pretty good, but I’m not sure about the custom lamp hangers. They may grow on me in time.

Doing this in small bites seems to be the way to go instead of steaming ahead and making a chore out of it.


It’s a shame to bury that beautiful Quaife case under the frame but hey…